First, what is a Sealant? Sealants are plastic coatings applied to the chewing surface of the permanent back teeth (molars and premolars). This treatment process helps to protect them from the tendency to build up food residue and tartar build up.
Why do you and or your kids need them?
- Food can easily get trapped in the deep ridges on your chewing surfaces. These areas are hard to clean and can be especially hard for kids to get ALL the way clean.
- Think of it lias shield of protection for that part of your teeth.
- Can reduce the risk of decay by up to 80%
If you choose to get sealants here is the basic procedure:
- The surface gets cleaned, conditioned and dried.
- The sealant is dropped onto the surface of the tooth and flows into position.
- The sealant adheres to the tooth and is hardened under a blue light.
- The tooth is sealed and now has much stronger protection against tooth decay.
Preventing tooth decay with sealants can be a very smart and cost effective way to protect your family from needing more extensive treatment on those molars and premolars. Call us to get it scheduled today!